Found in the heart of Norwich City Centre, the Theatre Royal is generally considered to be East Anglia’s premier theatre. Completely modernised in 2007, Norwich Theatre Royal boasts a spacious foyer, two bars, a restaurant, extra-comfortable seats with additional legroom, lift access to the Circle level and concert hall-standard acoustics.
2008 marked the 250th anniversary of the opening of the first Theatre Royal building, making this one of the oldest continually operating theatres in the UK.
Norwich Theatre Royal presents a high quality mix of musicals, comedy, drama, dance, opera and family shows all year round.
The 2018 programme includes the following highlights:
- Jules Verne’s Around the World in 80 Days (January 2018) – eight actors playing over 125 characters in an escapade which includes six trains, five boats, four fights, three dances, two circus acts and an elephant!
- Fat Friends. (March 2018) – Kay Mellor’s tale packed full of warmth, life and weight loss.
- Legally Blonde The Musical (March 2018) – Sorority sister Elle Woods on her mission to win back her boyfriend with her trusty pooch Bruiser.
- The Kite Runner (March 2018) – Khaled Hosseini’s wonderful book beautifully adapted for the stage by Matthew Spangler. Telling the story of a haunting friendship between two boys in Afghanistan which goes on to span cultures and continents.
- Cilla (April 2018) – Penned by the Bafta Award-winning writer Jeff Pope, it follows the extraordinary story of Liverpool teenager Priscilla White and her rocky, but incredible, rise to fame. Packed with her biggest hits including Anyone Who Had A Heart and Alfie.
- The Jungle Book (April 2018) – Memorable characters, great new songs and a fantastic story about family and belonging with the story of Mowgli as he battles for survival.
- Cirque Berserk (April 2018) – Thrills and spills in this mix of contemporary circus artistry and stunts marking the 250th anniversary of the invention of circus. As well as jugglers, acrobats, aerialists, dancers and drummers, it will also include the amazing motorcycle spectacle The Globe Of Death!
- Daniel O’Donnell (April – May 2018) – Renowned singer, performer and former Strictly contestant.
- This House (May 2018) – Another fast-paced and witty drama giveing a timely insight into what went on in the corridors of Westminster in 1974.
- English Touring Opera (May 2018) Pesenting an energetic new production of Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro, followed by a double bill of short Puccini operas. On stage will be the moody romance Il Tabarro which ends in tragedy, followed by the sparkling comedy Gianni Schicchi which is set around the battle to secure a family inheritance in Florence.
- Cinderella In Hollywood (May 2018) – An English Youth Ballet production will move the classic fairy-tale into the glamorous era of Fifties Hollywood movies and feature a score mixing Shostakovich jazz tunes with music from classic films of the period.
- Acosta Danza (May – June 2018) – Cuba’s top dance talent will perform a mix of work created by some of the best Cuban and international choreographers.
- Jersey Boys (June 2018) – The story of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons.
- Derren Brown (June 2018) – That master of mind-games.
- Grease (July 2018) – Norwich Theatre Royal Youth Company presents this classic musical set in 1959 at Rydell High. It will follow the Summer Lovin’ and romance of Danny and Sandy against a soundtrack of classic songs including You’re The One That I Want and Greased Lightnin’
- Love From A Stranger (July 2018) – Classic suspense thriller penned by the Queen of Crime herself Agatha Christie, it tells the story of Cecily Harrington who is whisked off her feet by a handsome man and goes to live with him in a beautiful country cottage. Unfortunately, she soon discovers her blissful surrounding and new-found love may not be quite what they seem.
- Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em (July 2018) – Joe Pasquale takes on the role of the ever-accident-prone Frank Spencer. Based on the original TV series, it follows Frank and his long-suffering wife Betty through a host of misadventures.
- Miss Saigon (August – September 2018) – Cameron Mackintosh’s acclaimed new production.
For fans of music:
- Fast Love (April 2018) – Celebration of George Michael.
- Halfway to Paradise (April 2018) – A tribute to Billy Fury.
- That’ll Be The Day (June 2018) – The UK’s premier Rock ‘n’ Roll Show
- Rhythm Of The Dance (June 2018) – A celebration of Irish Music and Dance.
- Deacon Blue (November 2018) – 30th Anniversary tour!
See full list of Music!
For fans of comedy:
- Jon Richardson (May 2018)
- Danny Baker (July 2018)
- Ross Noble (September 2018)
See full list of Comedy!
Of course, no production calendar would be complete without the the annual extravaganza that is the traditional family pantomime – this year it is Sleeping Beauty, on Wednesday 13th December 2017 – Sunday 14th January 2018.
See information about all shows at the Norwich Theatre Royal.
As well as the great array of performances, the Theatre Royal also offers a range of other activities including drama education and training courses.
Tickets for all performances start at less than £10. To book, just call 01603 630000, pop in or go to www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk to book online.
Norwich Theatre Royal.
Theatre Street, Norwich, NR2 1RL.
Tel: 01603 630000 (Box Office).